Disqus is a great commenting tool that many SNworks sites use. It has several benefits including: allowing for multiple moderators, automatic moderation (spam prevention) and the ability to earn revenue with their Discovery program.
There are though a few best practices to keep your site less-spamy.
Under General Settings:
- Guest Commenting - Don't allow
- Pre-moderations - Change to 'non-verified'. This way if someone makes a fake email address the comment shouldn't be live right away
- Links in comments - Require these to be reviewed to avoid spam
- Flagged comments - Enable so moderators are notified when a comment is flagged by a reader. And also choose how many flags warrant an automatic takedown of the comment.
- Automatic Closing - We recommend setting a time window for commenting to close for a story. Usually two weeks to a month is a good window for commenting while a story is still timely.
- Restricted words - They've got a good starter lists of swears that will automatically mark a comment for review. By default no words are restricted.
- Blacklist - If users are repeatedly using the same anonymous logins you can block them.