SNworks uses Vagrant and VirtualBox to provide local development environments for custom template and plugin development.
Note: Local development environments have only been tested and verified on Linux and MacOS. Environments should function on Windows, but have not been tested.
- Vagrant - https://www.vagrantup.com/downloads.html
- VirtualBox - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- Xcode (MacOS only) - Free download from the App Store
- Git - http://git-scm.com/download
A few things to keep in mind:
- Local dev environments use local databases, this makes it difficult to share data sources collaboratively.
- Media handling is limited to photos, PDFs and audio. Video processing will not function.
- Media is stored locally - if you destroy the virtual machine, the media will be lost.
- Local environments do not have access to remote storage, email processing, CAPTCHA handling or geocoding services (for security reasons).
- While you will have full access to the Gryphon3-Transitional system (includes some improvements from Gryphon4), the current admin interface is Gryphon3.
- Your repository is a forked version of SNworks main client repository for your site. As such, you won't be able to update your site directly - you'll need to contact support pull your changes in.
After installing Vagrant, VirtualBox and Xcode, start by opening up your Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities in MacOS).
First, clone your repository:
$] git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:statenews/MYREPO.git
Then, install the necessary vagrant plugins:
$] vagrant plugin install vagrant-berkshelf
$] vagrant plugin install vagrant-omnibus
$] vagrant plugin install vagrant-triggers
Finally, start Vagrant
$] vagrant up
Vagrant will download our pre-packaged box, then start Chef to provision and install the necessary packages. Once it has finished it will automatically open a browser window and connect to your site at:
You can stop Vagrant with:
$] vagrant halt
This will stop your virtual machine, but keep all the data.
If you need to completely start over, use:
$] vagrant destroy
Updating your virtual machine:
SNworks will release updates to the virtual machine as we continue to improve Gryphon and work toward a full Gryphon4 release. As we are not using Vagrant's box management service the only way to update your box is by removing and reinstalling it:
$] vagrant box remove snworks/gryphon_deploy
$] vagrant box add https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.getsnworks.com/vagrant/gryphon_deploy.box --name=snworks/gryphon_deploy